Projects - Lyndhurst Estate Bowling Alley
The Lyndhurst Estate, designed in 1838 by the architect Alexander Jackson Davis, was bought by the railroad magnate Jay Gould in 1880 and passed on to his oldest daughter, Helen Gould, upon his death in 1892. The maple bowling lanes, which are inside a 4,300-square-foot, free-standing building at the rear of the property, are reported to have been built by Helen Gould in 1895. This dating likely makes it the oldest known two-lane private indoor bowling alley in the United States. We are proud to have re-roofed this interesting piece of history with our 18” Alaskan Yellow Tapersawn Shakes as part of the restoration project at Lyndhurst.
Alaskan Yellow Tapersawn Shakes